Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 191 - Inbred dog and zong zi

  1. Michelle forwarded on an email with the subject "Do you think this dog is inbred?"

  2. And in the email, was this picture.

    Ahhhh just the thing for Monday morning!

  3. My annual feast of 粽子 (zong zi). I only had one this year, which is a bit sad. But goddamn it was good. 

  4. LOL at the look of horror on Kerri and Jon's faces when I explained to them the story behind zong zi's - that a famous patriotic Chinese poet by the name of Qu Yuan was so upset with his government and its policies that he committed suicide by drowning himself in the local river. The villagers searched for their beloved poet's body but could not find it, so they threw rice packages into the river hoping that the fish would eat them instead of the poet's body. Since then, we customarily eat zong zi every year on the day of Qu Yuan's passing to honour him. Aren't Chinese folk stories great fun!

2 comments:

  1. lol well I was expecting something a bit more positive when you said 'I eat this in celebration once a year.

    I see you remembered his name now at least :P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I've been following your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you
    a shout out from Austin Texas!
    Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic
    job!

    My blog business web hosting

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...