Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 133 - Spending the day with my niece

Today was a day of many firsts.

It was the first time I spent all day alone with my niece.

It was the first time I fed her solid food.

It was the first time I changed a diaper!!!! Oh God I thought I was going to pass out!

But I survived, long enough to change another diaper! Eurghhhhh!! I have to say though, I think I expected it to be worse..?!? I must also add that I'm very impressed with the modern diaper - it holds everything in so well, and it's surprisingly easy to put on!

Anyway, moving along...

It was the first time the both of us had a big laugh together. When I was feeding her, she shook her head to indicate she didn't want anymore food - I thought it was the most adorable thing! I tried to talk her into having a few more bites, which led to more head shaking and laughter! I laughed at her because she was soo adorable, she laughed at me... probably because I looked like a crazy auntie in hysterics... I laughed at her cute laughter, she laughed at my laughter. This went on for about 15 minutes.

It was also the first time I was unable to put her to sleep.

As she cried, wailed wildly and screamed, I did my best to soothe her - I changed her nappy, I gave her more food, I sang to her, I gently rocked her from side to side, I cuddled her closely, I checked her nappy again, I offered her water... but all my efforts were futile. She wouldn't stop crying, and I couldn't figure out why.

With one of my ears deaf and the other one ringing, I had to remind myself of some sage motherly wisdom - this too shall pass. Whatever the moment, be it the crying, the shrieking, the giggling, the laughing, the tantrums, the spats, the sad tears, the happy tears, the milestones, the celebrations... all these precious moments, they all too shall pass.

So enjoy the moment everyday whether they're good or bad, because they won't last forever.
Giggly
Sideways hello!
And almost always, you'll find that the journey was well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. lol that first photo is pretty funny. Cute kid :).

    PS: Definitely a crazy auntie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...